Director Online is the SaaS platform that enables the DevOps developers and Administrators to connect their OpenEBS enabled Kubernetes clusters for centralized monitoring, Data Migration as a Service (DMaaS), ChatOps and obtaining support from MayaData. Users can sign up to Director Online using with GitHub credentials, Google credentials or Local Authentication and it is free for basic usage.
Why Director Online?
Director Online will help user to provide the self management of OpenEBS storage in the Kubernetes environment. Director Online provides the following benefits when the OpenEBS enabled Kubernetes cluster is connected.
- Free visibility and control for the operation of the OpenEBS based stateful application.
- Cross cloud monitoring.
- Data Migration as a Service(DMaaS) for Data agility across Kubernetes clusters.
- Application centric monitoring.
- Topology view of a cluster.
- Easy access of logs for faster troubleshooting .
- Smart alerting mechanism.
- Free visibility of application specific dashboard.
System Requirements (or Resource Required)
Installation of Director Online agents happen into
maya-systemnamespace. On an average, the agents consume around 500mi node memory and 300-400m node cpu per node. Default Director Online components resources details can be see here.
Users can in general connect any Kubernetes cluster versioned above 1.10.x to Director Online and OpenShift versioned above 3.x.
Users need to authenticate to Director Online using with GitHub credentials , Google credentials or Local Authentication .
Users need to have access to Kubernetes admin context to install Director Online agents on Kubernetes.
Supported browsers are Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
Installing Director Online agents on Kubernetes
The Director Online can be easily configured in your OpenEBS enabled Kubernetes cluster using following simple steps.
- Sign in at https://director.mayadata.io using GitHub credentials, Google credentials or Local Authentication. New account for Local authentication can be created using sign up button.
- Create a project and choose the Kubernetes platform.
- Copy the
kubectlcommand that is presented in your web browser and run it in your Kubernetes master environment.
Once your cluster is connected to Director Online, start exploring your OpenEBS resources through the topology view of your cluster.
What information is sent from my Kubernetes to Director Online?
Director Online agents are installed in a namespace called
maya-system. These agents primarily include
- Prometheus client that collects metrics from OpenEBS volumes and export them to Director Online.
- Topology client that queries Kubernetes resources and send the status when requested.
- Fluentd aggregators that export the logs to Director Online.
- Maya-io-agent gets deployed on every node. It provides Maya application and it proxy server requests to cluster services. User's data is never looked into or exported to Director Online by the agents.
- DMaaS agents for doing Data Migration as a Service.
Note: Director Online administrators will have read-only access to the topology, metrics and logs that are exported to Director Online.